Frequently Asked Questions
When To Repair Your Air Conditioner?
Repairing or replacing an air conditioner is always a difficult decision. The following points can help you decide when it might be better to repair your air conditioner, rather than replace it.
- Old air conditioning equipment becomes expensive to repair and offers no guarantee that additional problems are not close behind.
- If you plan on moving soon, you may not get your investment price from a replacement air conditioning unit when you sell.
- A replacement that involves other trades may be cost prohibitive. In rare situations, a new air conditioning system can require significant remodeling.
- The system has been trouble free thus far and looks to be mechanically sound still.
When To Replace Your Air Conditioner?
While replacement may be more expensive in the short-term, in the long run you might be saving money by replacing your current air conditioning system with a newer, more efficient system. The following points can help you decide which course might be better.
- If the equipment has reached 6 years old be careful not to throw good money after bad with repairs. The average life span of an air conditioning unit is 6 to 12 years.
- If the system is older than 12 years, major improvements in efficiency could be saving you BIG money. Super-efficient, modern equipment can save $1,000 or more per year.
- If you are not comfortable. Today’s modern air conditioning comfort systems can virtually eliminate hot and cold areas, high and low humidity, bad air quality, high utility bills, noisy indoor and outdoor equipment, and much more.
- If your system does not have variable air flow. Variable air flow is the key to comfort. New systems keep the air moving, adding to comfort and helping save money.
- If you are concerned about break downs. When an old system fails under the intense summer heat, a replacement air conditioner can easily be a week to 10 days away.
- If family members have allergies, asthma or other air quality health concerns. Indoor air quality can be improved throughout the whole house by 100 times with today’s high tech IAQ technology and air conditioning products.
Replacing components of your HVAC system is one of the biggest expenses homeowners face.
Luckily Clawson Heating offers financing to qualified customers.
Why Is It Important For Me To Continue My Service Agreement?
Continuing your service agreement, will ensure:
- Lower Utility Bills
- Extended Equipment Life
- Fewer Repairs
- Improved Capacity
- Discounts on repairs
- Priority Customer Status
- Inflation Protection
- Emergency service
What Size System Should I Have Installed?
The right size system is paramount in your home. Too large and your system will short cycle and not control humidity correctly. Too small and it will run continuously. Please contact Clawson Heating for your free analysis today. We will be happy to configure just the right system for your needs.
Is A Bigger Furnace Or Air Conditioner Better?
No it is not. Bigger is not always better in the HVAC industry. A larger air conditioner uses more electricity and costs more to purchase, install and upkeep. A properly sized unit will provide the most efficient energy use and most comfort in your home. When buying a home comfort system, selecting the right size is crucial. For instance, an air conditioner that is too large will cool your home quickly but you still may not feel comfortable. It will satisfy the thermostat before it can remove sufficient moisture from the air. However, a system that is too small just cannot get the job done. As an American Standard Customer Care Dealer, we can help you determine the right size system for your home comfort needs.
How Often Should I Change My Filters?
Check filters every two months and replace as needed.
I Would Like To Upgrade To A New High Efficiency Furnace Or Air Conditioner. Do You Offer Financing?
I Like To Keep My House Very Cool In The Summer. Would A New Air Conditioning Unit Help With Costs?
If you have a 15 year old unit it could be as little as 6 SEER. Most people set their thermostat around 78 degrees in the summer to save costs and with a new American Standard high efficiency air conditioner you could save as much as $600 per summer on a typical 4 ton unit while having your thermostat set a few degrees colder.
What Are The Benefits Of A Programmable Thermostat?
A programmable thermostat is programmed for when you leave your house and then return home. The thermostat turns of the furnace during the hours you are not home so that energy is not used to keep the house warm while you are at work. The thermostat will then turn back on 30 minutes before you come home so your house is at the perfect temperature when you are home. These thermostats save up to 15% on your energy bills during the winter and 10% in the summer.
Why Are Furnaces And Air Conditioners So Noisy?
They are not noisy if you install new American Standard components in your system. Old units were not built with the quality materials that are used today. American Standard also installs sound insulators on the compressor as well as a weather guard top that not only reduces noise but increases the life of the unit by not letting debris get into the system.
When I Am On Vacation, Should I Turn Off My Furnace To Save Energy?
Common settings is 85 degrees in the summer if you have air conditioning and 60 in the winter if you will be gone for a couple of days. These settings will keep most plants alive and will keep pipes from freezing and bursting in the winter.
Do I Run Any Risk By Accepting The Lowest Bid?
YES! If a bid comes in 5-10% lower than other companies it is because they are using inferior products, do not do a quality installation or are leaving something out of their bid. Many companies will not pay for permits or schedule the inspector to come to your house. We do all the work for you, you just need to relax and enjoy the comfort and energy efficiency of your new system. Contact us today for your free estimate.
Financing for Portland's Finest HVAC Installations
Sometimes emergencies happen when we're not always financially prepared. Like needing a new furnace, heat pump or air conditioner.
Clawson Heating understands. We know the stress sudden financial obligations can put on families. That's why we've partnered with Wells Fargo Bank to provide special financing options for our customers.
Why choose Clawson Heating and Air Conditioning?
Our HVAC technicians are NATE-certified. This ensures you receive the highest quality expertise that you deserve.
We guarantee all our work - we aren't satisfied until you are. Exemplary service is the foundation of our reputation.
We offer 24 service: after-hours, holidays, emergencies - you name it. If you need service, we are only a phone call away.